- 25ml soy sauce
- 130ml water
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 250g shiitake or wild mushrooms
- 150g panko breadcrumbs
For the Batter
- 200ml plant-based milk
- 115g plain flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion salt
- Preheat oven to 200*c, line 2 baking trays and put a small saucepan on medium heat.
- Put the soy sauce, 100ml of the water, the ground ginger, garlic powder and sugar into the hot pan and simmer gently until the sugar dissolves.
- Put the cornflour and remaining 30ml water into a glass and stir with a fork until there are no lumps. Add to the plan, turn up the heat and bring to the boil, stirring as you go. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce is syrupy and viscous. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Put all the ingredients for the batter into a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Cut any large mushrooms in half and add all the mushrooms to the batter to coat thoroughly
- Put the panko breadcrumbs into a large bowl.
- One by one, roll the battered mushrooms in the breadcrumbs and place them on the lined baking trays. Put the trays in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, until the mushrooms are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven, put them in a serving bowl and serve with the teriyaki sauce.